The Birkin

The Birkin
The finished article

Sunday, September 2, 2007

You know, I think it may be a car

There's been some movement lately, which has made the car look, well, more car-like. The front and rear suspension and running gear is coming together, with the uprights installed at both ends. When you attach the steering rack to the front and turn the shaft, there's a satifying corresponding movement in the uprights to turn left and right. OK, I know, juvenile, but it's great to see some mechanical movement at last.






I've also been putting the dash in - the dials and lights are all provided, and the holes all pre-drilled. The dash only required some work on the holes for the lights to make them large enough, which wasn't that hard, plus I need to drill an additional hole for one more. ADR requires, of all things, a seatbelt light to warn me if someone's seatbelt isn't done up. I have absolutely no idea who would be in a Birkin and not realise they had no seatbelt (especially after they've left an impression of the dashboard in their forehead at the first lights), but there's a light just in case. I'm also not sure how that wires into the racing harness or not.

I've also been looking at making my first, individual, decision (so far I've copied everyone else). I thinking of moving the ignition from the usual position, where it's attached to the steering column. In the Caterham, I kept bashing my knee on it, plus you have to contort a little to reach the damn thing. Then the keys keep hitting things. I've been wondering whether it's possible to move the ignition down to the centre console. Keeps it all out of the way. Hey, maybe I could even have a pushbutton start ;-)








No comments: