The Birkin

The Birkin
The finished article

Monday, September 17, 2007

Further progress

Hi y'all.

Further progress has been made in some small areas. Firstly, the dash wiring is basically in now, with some clips supplied by Paul making the whole thing a lot neater. I still need to drill a hole for the indicator light, but I'm going to wait until I decide on whether I'm going for LED lights or not. If I go LED, then the indicators require two lights (one left and one right). If I stick with bulb lights, I only need one to indicate that an indicator is on. When you turn the indicators on in a clubman, they're set up to make a horrible noise to remind you - no nice soft clicking sound like in other cars - because there's no cancel on the steering wheel to turn them off once you've completed the turn.

I've also completed the front steering mounts, including getting the sway bar roughly located in place with the reinforcing plates are now all bolted in. I've also fabricated some little aluminium brackets for the fan and mounted it on the radiator, which is now also mounted on the car. Just a tip to the unwary - you need to turn the fan around. It's default position would have had the poor thing trying to blow air back towards the front of the car - not the most efficient setting.

I've also moved the pedal box to its farthest position, and fitted the pistons for the pedals. I'm still missing the joints to fix the pedals to the pistons, but its all there ready to go.

So that's not bad progress. I've started to make a list of the next steps to take, and there are a few things that need to happen before I can move on some of the suspenion components (machining a few spacers etc), but its moving forward.

No comments: