The Birkin

The Birkin
The finished article

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Nearly there...

Despite the lack of postings, there has been a lot of progress on the car - it's just that none of it is terribly exciting. Once you get the engine in, there's all sorts of prosaic things to do, like:

* Install dipstick
* Install water pipes
* Install radiator overflow tank
* Tighten suspension bolts
* Do a wheel alignment
* Align headlights
* Install throttle cable
* Put oil in diff, gearbox and engine
* Install car horns

All this and more has been done, but that's not exactly riveting stuff. I'm just waiting for the engine loom to be put in and the car will be drivable.

That said, the bills keep rolling in. For example, the oil I'm using is Redline Lightweight Shockproof for the diff and gearbox, and Redline 10W40 for the engine. The total oil bill was over $300, which suprised me. But I should be coming to the end of the bills as well.

I've also tested all of the electrics, and everything works fine - headlights, brake lights, reversing lights, indicators etc are all fine. There were only two problems - I'd installed the high beam switch in upside down (disaster ;-) and the indicators initially didn't work as the wiring to the relay was back to front. Both easily resolved.

So, any day now, I'll be posting the video of the car starting up for the first time - can't wait.

No comments: