The Birkin

The Birkin
The finished article

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Racing Seats

One of the tasks I had put aside for a rainy day, but thought I may as well do now as I have the time, is to install the racing seat.

Basically, the reasoning behind a racing seat is that it holds the driver in place better than the standard seat. In normal road use, this isn't a problem, however under the stresses of track use, a better seat is required.

I've bought a 15 inch Road / Race seat from Go Gear (www.gogear.com.au). The seat itself is an aluminium seat with a foam cover - pretty basic, but it fits into the Birkin with some modifications. So, I go out and spend over $600 on a seat, and then attack it with a sledgehammer.

To get the seat to fit, you need to bend the right hand shoulder wing in, as it doesn't clear the side of the car. Then you do the other side so it doesn't look to lopsided. Then you sit in it and work out that you don't fit anymore....so you hit it a few more times.

I also ground off the welds underneath the seat, removed a few studs, and bash in the side support around the base to give more clearance for the base. And it all fits in fine! I've also removed the sliders under the seat, and mounted the new seat to rivnuts put into the seating frame itself.

The seat means that I'm now really, really, held into the car, plus I'm a lot lower. I've also had to move the pedal box once more, as I'm also a lot further back in the car than before.

I'm also still waiting for the engine parts to come back, but again I'm expecting them this weekend.

No comments: