The Birkin

The Birkin
The finished article

Saturday, January 26, 2008

So much time, so little progress!

Well, OK, that's not entirely true. Quite a bit of progress has been made, actually, which given that building the car is now a full-time occupation, is only to be expected.....

Yup, I've taken a few months out to work on the car, sort out the house, get fit again, and do all the sorts of things that normally happen in between work, rather than what I've been doing which is just working.

So what have I achieved - I'll list them out:
  • All non-suspension related bolts torqued to final settings
  • Rear guards fitted, indicators / brake lights fitted
  • Number plate position and light installed
  • Fuel lines installed, along with fuel filter
  • Reversing light installed (although this will be moved later)
  • Centre console redone (didn't like the standard one)
  • Wiper blade arm installed
  • Headlights pre-fitted
  • Front guards fitted (still some work to do there)

The major changes are to the back end of the car, where all of the lighting is now installed, and it all looks pretty good. The real test comes when I can stand 50 feet away, where all of the angles will be more obvious - I have not doubt I'll be straightening a few bits and pieces here and there, but it will only be a matter of milimeters.

I've also ordered the plates - the car will be called "Mosquito", which somewhat changes the original theme I was going for. However, I think it's a good moniker - a mosquito is small, fast moving, agile, and has makes a noise you can't ignore. The Birkin will be small, fast moving, agile, and will make a noise you can't ignore from three suburbs away.

Anyway, I have some photos to add (at my parents once more on 128K), so will add these shortly, along with some more commentary on the work done to date.

No comments: