The Birkin

The Birkin
The finished article

Monday, March 19, 2007

Australian F1 Grand Prix 2007

No work on the Birkin this weekend, as I was in Melbourne for an engagement party, wedding (different people!) and the F1 Grand Prix. The first two lead to late nights and sore heads, but that's a story for a different forum. This blog's about cars.....

I've never been to an F1 GP. I've been in a few countries when they've had one running (UK several times, Bahrain etc), but F1 has not been of much interest to me really. It's not racing, it's a procession of cars with few actual battles, chances for competition etc. I think the race is won in the strategies employed and in the pits, which for me isn't much fun. I also think the budget of the team has too much influence over the outcome, which isn't an unusual feature in expensive sports, but seems to have a big influence here (I'd like to have seen how Michael Schumaker would have done in a Minardi or Spyker).

That said, when it worked out that I'd be in town for the Aus GP, I thought I'd make the effort. AUD100 per ticket (as compared to GBP100+ in the UK), plus the ease of getting to and from etc made it worth the cost and effort.

I won't give a blow by blow account of the race - because I had no idea what was going on. The start was great, and the sheer noise was incredible, but the effect of a few laps and the earplugs you really should wear reduce the impact. After that, it's just a series of cars all following the same lines as each other. I'd be interested in knowing how many competitive overtaking manouevers there were after, say, the first five laps. Competitive as distinct from back-markers being overtaken, or being overtaken whilst in the pits. There'd have to be very few. Ok, Massa from the back of the grid pulled past quite a few, but he was there because of an engine change. And we didn't see any of it anyway, as the cameras are elsewhere watching Kimi add 1.2 seconds a lap to his lead. How dull.

But hey, maybe on telly it was a race full of excitement and drama - it's just from trackside you see so little of the entire race, and you're just waiting for someone to do something, anything, in your little bit of the track.

In addition, with the new rules making the cars slower but more reliable, you also don't have the thrill (or frustration) of someone holding on to a position, but losing it to mechanical failure. The risk is still there, but much reduced. What this seems to mean is that

Compare this against other forms of racing, like BTCC and rally. BTCC is bumper to bumper, cars touching, overtaking is common, and the times are pretty close from the front to the rear of the field. Rally driving is fast and loose, with anything possible at any time. Hitting a rock, putting a wheel over a cliff, all outcomes possible either due to chance or driver error. Much more fun.

So I think F1 has a place in that it's the (supposedly) pinacle of motorsport racing. But from my point of view, there are more exciting, more accessible and better value options out there. I might go again to see if I could get something more out of it next time, but I think I'll stick to watching it on telly from now on.

No comments: