The Birkin

The Birkin
The finished article

Monday, January 15, 2007

It's here, it's here!!!

Yup, finally picked it up. Well, most of it. A box or two was missed in the shipment from Melbourne (understandable - they were broken into again.....), so there're a few more exciting bits of car still to arrive. However, enough arrived to make it look like something's happening!

Went around to Franks to pick it all up, and found it was all nicely boxed up and ready to go. All I had to do was put all the loose bits (like brake disks, exhaust headers, metal thingamies that will go somewhere I'm sure, etc) in the back of the 4x4 and we were good to go.

I must admit I'd never towed anything this large before, so was a little hesitant. Got slightly spooked driving along hearing an odd rumbling noise, then noticed that the trailer was running over the catseyes. Everyone was giving me a respectable margin on the road ;-)


However, once on the freeways and highways, all was fine, and I eventually got used to the width of the wheels. Getting it to my parents place was another matter - Dad's advice was to "keep your speed up and you'll be fine". My parents driveway is 2km long, gravel, and goes through two steep valleys. People in rear wheel drive cars need to be rescued. And here I am in a heavy 4x4 towing a large trailer. Luckily all went well - dusty, but well.

So now it's in the shed, having gotten the thing off the trailer and onto the stand. Only one slight off note - when the packing guys put the frame over the chassis, they must have run the frame down the side of the car, as there's a decent sized scratch and slight crease in the passsenger side. Shouldn't be a problem though, as I'm planning on painting the sides, and the crease should be easy to remove.

No comments: